Monday 12 May 2014

When to stir and when to shake a drink

While ordering cocktails at a bar in Delhi or making one at home I have always had confusions as to when should I stir my drink and when should I shake it. Obviously there was some logic to it as I often saw people stirring the same kind of drinks and vice versa, but I couldn’t get hold of any possible explanations. I didn’t want to look uninformed in front of others nor did I want to spoil the taste of my drink.
 
Select Citywalk :- bar in Delhi
So, I had no option but to ask my friend who works at a top-notch restaurant in Delhi, as to what is the correct of making cocktails. Here I have shared with you what he told me. So, in case you also find it hard to decide, following tips can be of help.
 
When to shake
 
Cocktails that include heavy or thick ingredients require a shake to mix completely as a vigorous shake will blend the components with different viscosity properly. It also creates a nice cloudy texture with effervescence near the brim. So shake all drinks you would like to have with some effervescence. As a thumb rule, components like juices, syrups, sour mixes, cream liqueurs, eggs, or dairy products need shaking.
 
When to stir
 
A concoction of distilled spirits or very light liqueurs is gently stirred rather than shaken. It is a gentler technique to mix things while keeping the balance and texture intact. Moreover, some gin and whiskey varieties are stirred as it is believed that a shake can bruise the spirit.
 
At a bar in Delhi, it is easier to guess as usually the bartender will do it for you and you just have to follow the lead. Moreover, the drinks that need stirring comes with a stirrer in the glass, but while making one at home, it is best to stick to the recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment